This independent study covers procedures used in behavior modification and the underlying concepts on which it is based. Students read and complete exercises in a text. In addition, they complete a project demonstrating the application of behavior modification procedures. Evaluation is based on answers to study questions, three tests, and evaluation of a written report of a real or simulated behavior modification project.
- Record behavioral observations.
- Define terms, e.g., "shaping", "extinction", "reinforcement", etc.
- Define "target" behaviors in precise behavioral terms.
- Describe ethical issues in applying behavior modification techniques.
- Design a program to increase or decrease the frequency of a specific behavior.
- Determine "baseline" rates of behavior.