Civic Engagement: Focus in Later Life offers exciting perspectives on the increasing demographics of older persons worldwide. People in their later lives are increasingly dedicated to civic, social, and creative causes. In this course, students will examine the contributions of older persons in making the world a better place to live for all generations. The course uses resources, research and inspiring stories to illustrate the accomplishments of older persons. Students may register for this course at either a 200 or 300 level. The 300 level applies theoretical concepts.
- Understand the reasons people in later-life become involved in civic engagement.
- Analyze the challenges of civic engagement in later life.
- Examine how civic engagement is a part of successful aging.
- Explore biographies of older persons who contribute to society in meaningful ways.
- Learn the theoretical constructs and perspectives associated with later life developing, aging, creativity and involvement.
- Learn the variety of issues and organizations older adults are involved with.