This course helps students become aware of their own attitudes and values about dying and death, and how these affect others. It investigates myths concerning dying and death, the effect of personal and cultural attitudes on a person's ability to communicate with the dying and their families, death industries, historical perspectives, and euthanasia. The course includes field trips.
- To develop and understanding of the theoretical views of grief, death and dying.
- To examine social, historical and cultural views on death and dying.
- To examine various death rituals.
- To gain insight and understanding of the hospice concept.
- To gain insight on concepts regarding suicide.
- To promote a deeper understanding and personal awareness concerning death.
- To review and analyze ethical issues regarding death and dying.