Music 325 will explore the role of music historically and culturally, emphasizing a deeper understanding and appreciation of the context of music through listening. Discussion of western art music, jazz, popular, and world musics and their impact on society, including major composers, styles, and instruments in both western and non-western traditions. Students do not need to have a musical background in order to succeed in class, but they must have an interest in the topic and desire to learn.
4 Undergraduate credits
Effective August 16, 2013 to present
- The elements of music and how these affect sound and style of all musical genres;
- Sound quality of instruments from both western and non-western cultures;
- Musical styles and their historical contexts and relation to other arts;
- Major composers and their contributions to music and to society;
- Musical compositions and their stylistic significance.