This practicum provides students with a guided experience in the application of epidemiological and population health concepts presented in NURS 608. Students work to design a community-based, culturally relevant health promotion, disease prevention or management plan. Students create and present a patient education offering, community service message or a communication strategy related to their plan. Practicum experiences are individually designed through the use of learning contracts in consultation with the NURS 608P instructor.
- Use knowledge of illness and disease, epidemiological, social, and environmental data to identify health concerns within population groups;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of prior interventions or approaches related to the identified health concern;
- Engage with stakeholders to identify and incorporate culturally relevant prevention or promotion strategies and communications into the health promotion plan;
- Synthesize theories and evidence-based knowledge into the design of a community-based disease prevention or health promotion plan;
- Design and present a culturally relevant communication plan, health education offering, or public service campaign to advance the disease prevention or health promotion plan.