Serving as the foundation for ANP/GNP practice, this course focuses on health promotion and risk factor identification for adults/older adults and management of selected common acute and chronic health concerns of adults/older adults in the context of family-centered and population-based care. Common concerns of the geriatric population and frail elderly are also addressed. Students will utilize critical thinking skills as they study clinical presentations, engage in development of differential diagnoses, determine the implications of clinical data, and plan holistic therapeutic interventions that will optimize client/family health. Evidenced based clinical practice guidelines are utilized to guide ANP/GNP practice. Selected roles of the advanced practice nurse and common issues encountered in practice are addressed.
- Analyze the effects of established risk factors on health and illness.
- Determine the implications of history and physical findings related to the management of selected common acute and chronic health concerns of adults and older adults.
- Determine the implications of laboratory and diagnostic studies related to the management of selected common acute and chronic health concerns of adults and older adults.
- Develop individualized and holistic health maintenance plans for adults and older adults based on identified risk factors.
- Discuss the role of the advanced practice nurse and associated professional issues arising from the clinical setting.
- Explore issues related to problems commonly associated with the elderly population including chronicity, altered physiology, and polypharmacy.
- Formulate a theoretically and scientifically based holistic plan of care that integrates complementary therapies in conjunction with traditional medical protocols into ANP/GNP practice.
- Utilize evidence based clinical practice guidelines to propose a plan to manage selected common acute and chronic health concerns of adults.
- Analyze needs related to health promotion for adults and older adults in the context of ANP/GNP practice.