This course provides an introduction to the foundational concepts that influence or support nursing education. Students explore the social, economic, or institutional forces that influence nursing and higher education, including concepts. Students study teaching and learning theories, including theories about learning styles, and examine how these theories may be applied to a diverse population of nursing students. Students explore the status and utility of evidence-based teaching strategies for nursing education.
- Identify how social, economic, political, and institutional forces and the definition of nurse influence the development of nursing and higher education.
- Analyze teaching and learning theories for their application to nursing education.
- Analyze learning style theories for their application to nursing education.
- Describe how nursing education needs to developed or modified to accommodate culturally diverse, traditional vs. non-traditional, and at-risk students.
- Demonstrate the ability to foster development of learning in cognitive, psychomotor, and affective area at the novice level.
- Describe the status and utility of evidence-based teaching strategies for nursing education.