The mission of the Department of Nursing is to promote holistic health and healing and eliminate health inequities by facilitating student learning, advancing scholarship and engaging the community.
Department of Nursing's goals
- Provide nursing education that is accessible and flexible;
- Create learning environments in which students from underrepresented and diverse groups have equitable opportunities to participate and succeed;
- Prepare nurses to respond to the increasingly complex health care needs of individuals, families and communities;
- Contribute to the advancement of nursing practice and the discipline of nursing; and
- Foster expanded practice and research opportunities through collaboration with educational and service partners align well with the mission of the university.
Department of Nursing’s philosophy
- Nursing exists as a social contract with society to advance health and wellness.
- Through this contract, nursing strives for population outcomes of equity.
- The role of nursing education at Metropolitan State University is to engage students to become part of the discipline of nursing and provide holistic, value-based care.
- Inherent within the practice and discipline of nursing are the values noted in the diagram.
- The model demonstrates the relationships among the discipline of nursing, nursing practice, and nursing education.