University Procedure #217
Section 1. Purpose
The purpose of this procedure is to articulate the criteria and process for establishment of an undergraduate pre-major. The goal is to enhance student advising and ensure data integrity through consistency and formalization of the process by which pre-majors may be created.
Section 2. Authority
This procedure is issued pursuant to authority granted under the Rules and Regulations of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU).
Section 3. Effective Date
This procedure shall become effective upon signature by the president and shall remain in effect until modified or expressly revoked.
Section 4. Responsibility
Responsibility for implementation of this procedure is assigned to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Section 5. Procedure
- Related policies that may apply include:
- Policy 2020 Baccalaureate Degree Requirements, Modification of Student Degree Programs, and Graduation Requirements.
- Procedure #2xx Undergraduate Program Declaration.
- Departments with MnSCU-approved majors that have one or more of the following characteristics may request establishment of a pre-major:
- The major requires completion of prerequisite course(s) before a student can be accepted into the major.
- The major requires a minimum GPA for acceptance into the major.
- Students must meet some other clearly established requirement (e.g., licensure, field experience) before acceptance into the major.
- To request establishment of a pre-major, the department must document the way(s) in which the major meets one or more of the characteristics and develop a DARS program for the pre-major.
- Pre-major requests require review and approval by the college dean.
- Pre-major requests approved by the college dean must be forwarded, along with the DARS pre-major program, to the Registrar.
- The Registrar will:
- Implement the pre-major.
- Create an ISRS code for the pre-major and program the DARS pre-major.
- Notify Institutional Research, IT, the department chair, and the dean that the request has been approved and implemented.
Section 6. Exceptions
Exceptions to this procedure require approval from the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Section 7. Review
This procedure will be reviewed and modified as appropriate.
Section 8. Signatures
Issued on this day, September 7, 2011.
Gary Seiler, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Sue K. Hammersmith, President