As students visit local museums and galleries, they become familiar with many of the Twin Cities' exhibition facilities and reflect on the experience of viewing art. This course offers an approach to understanding and appreciating the visual arts as one develops critical thinking skills. Emphasis is placed on the articulation of ideas through written and spoken words. Note: Students are responsible for their own transportation.
- Can articulate thought into developing critical awareness of art through both written and spoken means.
- Can develop analysis of artwork subjectively, formally and through interpretation of content.
- Can draw connections between local exhibitions viewed and historical and contemporary practices in art.
- Develops awareness and appreciation of art and culture through visiting local art museums and galleries.
- Learns vocabulary pertinent to formal aspects of art.
- Understands historical and contemporary art movements.
- Understands the various functions and missions of a variety of exhibition spaces.
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of works in the arts and humanities.
- Understand those works as expressions of individual and human values within a historical and social context.
- Respond critically to works in the arts and humanities.
- Engage in the creative process or interpretive performance.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to works in the arts and humanities.