In this course, students learn the fundamental principles and concepts in computer forensics. The topics include the classification of the digital evidence, the procedure of discovering and preserving evidence, types of computer and Internet crimes, and analysis of computer crime statistics and demographics. Students also learn how to search and retrieve information to find the evidence using some common tools. Related legal procedures, regulations, and laws are also discussed briefly.
- Articulate the differences between digital forensics and other kinds of forensic evidence.
- Perform the basic steps and procedures in incident response.
- Analyze computer crime statistics and demographics.
- Identify the types of computer and Internet crimes.
- Articulate the legal procedures and standards in collecting, preserving, analyzing, and presenting digital evidence.
- Classify, examine and analyze digital evidence using operating system procedures or some open-source tools.