This course provides students with international perspectives on criminal justice. Through a comprehensive review of cross-national research data, students examine the features, successes and failures of various distinct criminal justice systems around the globe and use that information to evaluate the American criminal justice system. By exploring justice institutions in other parts of the world, students learn that criminal justice systems are shaped by the values, norms, customs or standards of behavior characteristic of the society in which they are found.
- Analyze specific international problems that countries criminal justice systems encounter illustrating the cultural, economic and political differences that affect their solution.
- Compare differences in criminal justice systems from around the world with the United States criminal justice system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the cultural and social differences that influence how criminal justice processes are carried out in countries around the world.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills.
- Describe and analyze political, economic and cultural factors which contribute to the functioning of criminal justice systems in countries around the world.
- Employ the methods and data that historians and social and behavioral scientists use to investigate the human condition.
- Examine social institutions and processes across a range of historical periods and cultures.
- Use and critique alternative explanatory systems or theories.
- Develop and communicate alternative explanations or solutions for contemporary social issues.
- Describe and analyze political, economic, and cultural elements which influence relations of states and societies in their historical and contemporary dimensions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cultural, social, religious and linguistic differences.
- Analyze specific international problems, illustrating the cultural, economic, and political differences that affect their solution.
- Understand the role of a world citizen and the responsibility world citizens share for their common global future.