This course is designed to prepare criminal justice and law enforcement students to work with victims and to understand the complexity of victim issues. This course will look at victimization from a sociological, psychological, as well as, legal perspective. Students will be exposed to current research, ethical considerations in victim response, psychological phenomena common to crime victims, legal obligations for victim service providers, and resources available to victims.
- Analyze the issues, conditions, and barriers victims face and how this impacts the various fields in the criminal justice system.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills.
- Examine and evaluate various approaches to victim's issues.
- Identify risk factors for victimization.
- Propose ideas to improve victim services.
- Understand and explain varying perspectives regarding crime victimization.