Students learn the characteristics and process of interpersonal communication including perception, speech and language, nonverbal behaviors, listening and feedback, conflict and conflict resolution, the ethics of interpersonal communication, relationship development and maintenance. The ability to recognize cultural similarities and differences is emphasized, as is the ability to recognize one's own communicative biases and behaviors. Evaluation is based, in part, on the ability to recognize characteristics of interpersonal communication and apply verbal and nonverbal interpersonal strategies in a wide variety of social and work situations. Overlap: Comm 232 Interpersonal Communication Theory Seminar.
- Acquire the specific attitudes, skills, and knowledge of interpersonal communication.
- Compare and contrast two approaches to interpersonal skill using strong writing to critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the two approaches.
- Conduct personal research on an issue or topic of particular interest related to interpersonal communication.
- Explore his/her own self-concept and its influence on his/her own interpersonal interactions.
- Practice intercultural communication skills in small groups with an emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding appropriately.
- Practice interpersonal skills by teaching a selected partner throughout the course.
- Understand/demonstrate the writing and speaking processes through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation.
- Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding.
- Locate, evaluate, and synthesize in a responsible manner material from diverse sources and points of view.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
- Construct logical and coherent arguments.
- Use authority, point-of-view, and individual voice and style in their writing and speaking.
- Employ syntax and usage appropriate to academic disciplines and the professional world.