This course focuses on systematic analysis of communication theory, techniques and procedures for managers. Students look at communication process, perception, motivation and conflict from the perspective of a manager in the organization. Students study topics such as managing performance, diversity and the nature of task groups. The course also uses an interdisciplinary approach to the content and delivery of professional communication and reports: information and persuasion, the difference between oral, written and visual media, videos and computer-supported demonstrations. Overlap: COMM 361T Managerial Communication Theory Seminar.Overlap: COMM 361T Managerial Communication Theory Seminar.
- Analyze managerial communication issues involved in media choice, managing diversity, and monitoring ethics and organization climate.
- Assess, analyze and apply major managerial theories to team and project management, leadership, culture and power.
- Assess, analyze and apply managerial theories, to a lesser extent, to developing trust and respect, brevity and visualizing, and good feedback and audience understanding.
- Improve oral presenting, interpersonally communicating, and writing in business format at the intermediate level.
- Understand and can apply major managerial communication theories and approaches to everyday managerial challenges and applies them at an intermediate level.
- Understand/demonstrate the writing and speaking processes through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation.
- Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding.
- Locate, evaluate, and synthesize in a responsible manner material from diverse sources and points of view.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
- Construct logical and coherent arguments.
- Use authority, point-of-view, and individual voice and style in their writing and speaking.
- Employ syntax and usage appropriate to academic disciplines and the professional world.