One strategic approach for public relations practitioners is to establish relationships with key stakeholders using mass communication media. Through course projects, students explore, as well as, building partnerships with members of these media organizations with the range of media outlets available. Students also explore preparing members of these organizations to serve as media spokespersons.
- Analyze, evaluate and create media relations and crisis communication plans.
- Apply learning to the improvement of students presentation and writing skills (including use of Associated Press style
- Know, understand and apply best practices for crisis communication with particular emphasis on the potential role of media, key messaging and spokesperson training.
- Know, understand and apply descriptions, definitions, and processes and tactics that distinguish media relations.
- Know, understand and apply the differences between traditional and social media including attributes and preferences for building relationships between reporters, bloggers, citizen journalists and public relations practitioners.
- Understand analyze and evaluate the legal and ethical considerations involved in the practice as advocated by organizations such as the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) and the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).