An introduction to methods and techniques commonly used in data science. This course will use object-oriented computer programming related to the processing, summarization and visualization of data, which will prepare students to use data in their field of study and to effectively communicate quantitative findings. Topics will include basics in computer programming, data visualization, data wrangling, data reshaping, ethical issues with the use of data, and data analysis using an object-oriented programming language. Students will complete a data science project.
- Describe the types of information systems employed in business environments
- Extract and assemble data from a variety of sources
- Apply effective visualization concepts and principles
- Clean and prepare data for an analysis using R
- Conduct basic analyses of data using R
- Work cooperatively as a team member
- Describe the types of analytics done at operational, managerial, and governance levels of organizations
- Discuss the ethical aspects and implications of using data to make decisions
- Provide a written and oral report to the audience at an appropriate level.