This course is an introduction to key skills and competencies required of a leader or member of a health care team. As dental hygiene professionals and other health care professionals look to future opportunities, working in collaborative teams for new markets and practice areas will be significant. The course will address how to lead, organize and manage teams, individual roles within the team, and collective problem solving methods and techniques. Whether you work in community health, sales, research or education, this course will assist you to better implement procedures and processes needed for building teams. Topics will include transformational leadership, effective teaming, communication, conflict management, and project management. Attention is given to health equity, to include emphasis on cultural competence, racism and health literacy.
- Apply effective leadership skills in health care practices and communities.
- Analyze how group dynamics play into building successful teams.
- Express the attitude that values and respects workforce diversity within the oral health team and integrated health care teams.
- Apply key organizational processes to enhance communication and planned change.
- Appraise individual strengths and work behavioral styles as tools for effective team building.
- Determine how to create a supportive health care team environment that values open dialogue with racial issues.
- Engage in conflict management through effective communication and crucial conversation.
- Explore techniques for helping health care teams assess performance.
- Apply the analytical steps involved in project management.
- Incorporate health literacy concepts into health care project planning.