DENH 310 Current and Relevant Topics for the Dental Hygienist
This online course is designed to assist the dental hygienist in understanding current and relevant practices in oral health care. Students will study current scopes of practice in relation to providing services in the contemporary healthcare environment. A major focus is inter-professional connections with numerous health organizations in providing oral health care services that promote health equity, cultural sensitivity, health literacy, and overall patient health.
Prerequisites: Admission into the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BSDH) or by special permission of Dental Hygiene Department Director.
3 Undergraduate credits
Effective August 16, 2013 to present
- Demonstrate understanding that oral health is integral to total health.
- Gain a deeper understanding of "dental public health" and how it differentiates from private dental practice.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the history surrounding Minnesota's oral health care delivery system and how this led to creation and implementation of collaborative and advanced dental hygiene practice.
- Be an advocate for alternative workforce models, to include integration of oral health into medical practice, and add a significant contribution to oral health "access" efforts.
- Discuss the importance of the healthcare system adapting to the culturally changing climate in the U.S. through enhancing sensitivity, and promoting heath equity.
- Evaluate oral health education tools based on health literacy principles.
- Work toward becoming part of a larger community of oral health practice through advocacy.
- Describe emerging technologies in dentistry.
- Understand emerging preventive oral health strategies.
- Describe use of tele-dentistry & tele-health in community health settings.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the following websites: MBOD, MDH ADHA, and MOHC, MCHWA
- Advocate for stability in and expansion of the dental hygiene scope of practice.
- Understand the importance of belonging to and supporting ADHA, our professional association.
- Gain an understanding of public health infrastructure and how it affects and is affected by various systems and stakeholders.
|50||Current and Relevant Topics for the Dental Hygienist||Hoerler, Sarah Beth||Books||Course details|