The focus of this course is to create a deeper understanding of the dental hygienist's role in the delivery of oral healthcare. Course content weaves in optimization of the oral healthcare work environment, business planning, core public health principles, ethics, and encouraging dental hygienists to involve themselves in public health advocacy and community partnerships. This course will have a significant focus on the effects of race and racism on the delivery of oral healthcare.
- Illustrate practice management strategies that dismantle racism and enhance equitable delivery of oral health services.
- Describe how various characteristics of race and racism affect health status and disseminate heath disparities.
- Choose appropriate negotiation and risk management strategies to promote effective, ethical and equitable patient-centered care.
- Articulate various personal and professional responses and responsibilities to address racism.
- Examine the challenges met by dental hygienists when planning, implementing and managing a feasible and sustainable oral healthcare business plan.
- Explain various collective and/or oral healthcare institutional responses and responsibilities to address racism.