This course is designed to introduce the student to educational methodologies for effective instruction in dental hygiene education. Topics include an overview of dental hygiene education, teaching/learning styles, instructional methods/strategies, and use of instructional objectives, classroom assessment techniques and evaluation. Attention is given to health equity, to include emphasis on cultural competence, racism and health literacy.
- Summarize the current status of dental hygiene education.
- Recognize educational theories of learning.
- Describe various styles of teaching and learning.
- Discuss racism in the learning environment.
- Describe the course design process from teaching goals to course learning outcomes.
- Describe didactic, laboratory and clinical teaching strategies utilized in dental hygiene education.
- Identify various assessment measures used in education.
- Develop a course module/unit of instruction for the dental hygiene curriculum.
- Design a scholarly course syllabus.