This course involves learning and implementing evidence-based decision making principles. The dental hygiene practitioner will value the integration of clinical expertise and available current external evidence from research. Emphasis is on strategy, methodology, and research design with clinical focus on dental hygiene standards of care, process of care, and dental hygiene diagnosis as related to clinical and community dental hygiene practice. Attention is given to health equity, to include emphasis on cultural competence, racism and health literacy.
- Integrate findings from evidence-based research into clinical practice and patient care.
- Relate evidence-based decision making to dental and dental hygiene standards of care, process of care, and dental hygiene diagnosis.
- Review dental and dental hygiene research with ethical, legal, economic, political, and multicultural issues in mind.
- Select research techniques appropriate to the investigation of dental issues.
- Understand research strategy, methodology, and design.
- Apply the concept of evidence-based dentistry.
- Practice evidence-based decision making.
- Critically evaluate current dental research recognizing applicability to clinical dental hygiene care.
- Write a formal research critique.
- Compose a research-based paper addressing a specific dental or dental hygiene clinical question.