This Capstone Course is designed to provide the student with an opportunity to apply their knowledge of a chosen professional role through an individually designed project. Students will apply into practice the knowledge and principles learned within the Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science courses. Through implementation of both an instructor led and self-directed learning experience (contract) related to their area of interest, students will demonstrate their understanding of the expanding role of the dental hygienist in the health care system. Attention is given to health equity, to include emphasis on cultural competence, racism and health literacy.
- Integrate and apply concepts, principles, knowledge, and skills learned in previous courses to their practicum experience.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a community-based, dental hygiene educational or health-related practicum project.
- Demonstrate an understanding of leadership and management skills associated with an identified professional role in the health care system.
- Demonstrate readiness to enter an advanced professional field.
- Identify advanced practice models to improve effectiveness of the dental hygienist in meeting the needs of those served and unserved.
- Utilize evidence-based research that relates to a dental hygienists' role in community-based health care programs or settings.
- Incorporate evidenced-based research on specific topics that relate to the practicum project.
- Utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills in a community-based practicum.
- Evaluate ways in which the Capstone Project Agency works with issues of racism and cultural diversity for the patients that it serves.