Developmentally appropriate curriculum, materials, and environmental design for infants and toddlers are the focus of this course. Students will review infant and toddler development and connect development to the practices used to design programs for infants and toddlers in urban early childhood settings. The importance of integrating the values, language, and cultural practices of the child's family into the daily curriculum will be a topic. The course will focus on strategies for communication with urban families and the current issues around infant and toddler care. Students will consider the appropriate practices for a program serving infants and toddlers in a diverse urban community. This course requires a practicum designed to provide urban field experiences for students to practice meeting the individual developmental needs of infants and toddlers. Using the basic strategies and techniques of child study, the student will learn to critically observe and assess the general developmental levels and learning needs of two urban children (one infant and one toddler) and report their findings. The student will spend at least five hours observing and minimally interacting with each of the two children in a diverse urban setting, using knowledge gained from textbook readings and class discussion.
- Establish and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with families of infants and toddlers.
- Know about the process of second language acquisition and about strategies to support the learning of students whose first language is not English.
- Plan, design and implement culturally and linguistically appropriate learning experiences for infants and toddlers. maintain.
- Plan, design and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences for infants and toddlers.
- Understand the normal development and learning patterns of infants and toddlers.
- Use child study techniques to describe the developmental level of the children and to interpret those findings to describe the learning needs of each of the children.
- Use informal and formal assessment and evaluation strategies to plan and individualize curriculum and teaching practices.