This course will provide the prospective teacher with opportunities to plan and implement developmentally and culturally appropriate activities in the arts for young urban children. The students in this course will be introduced to the basic theories of teaching the visual arts, creative movement, music and creative dramatics within a developmental program for young children. Integration of the arts into the regular daily curriculum of urban early childhood settings will be a major focus of this course. Clinical field experience hours are part of the course requirements.
- Construct a developmentally appropriate approach to integrating the creative arts into all aspects of the curriculum.
- Demonstrate the uses of the creative arts as supportive media for the development of cognitive skills, academic skills, emotional development and social development.
- Describe the developmental needs of young children in the areas of the creative arts.
- Plan and implement a developmentally and culturally appropriate program of creative arts for young urban children.
- Acquire knowledge regarding the importance of the creative arts in programs for young urban children.