This course will cover the use of restorative practices in urban classrooms and schools at large. Restorative practices are often seen as alternative ways of engaging youth who are faced with personal and environmental challenges that impact their participation in the classroom and school. Research will be reviewed including that which shows the effectiveness of restorative practices in reducing suspensions and expulsions while increasing student engagement. The historical and cultural roots of restorative practices will be examined and applied to current educational environments.
- Analyze various models of restorative practices implemented in schools and classrooms
- Observe and practice the application of restorative practices
- Understand the historical and cultural roots of restorative practices
- Review research literature and other scholarship about restorative practices
- Develop a plan to apply restorative practices in their respective educational environments