Data analytics is critical to HR and businesses as a part of competitive or business intelligence. In the past, HR professionals typically relied on their understanding of processes and the organization to make decisions and serve their stakeholders. For the last decade, data is increasingly available, and analytics provides a way to demonstrate the linkage between people and business outcomes (Waters et al., 2018). This course is designed to examine the use of data to understand, improve, and optimize the people side of the organization. It focuses on improving students¿ critical evaluation and business acumen, a part of the main core competencies for HR professionals in the Society of Human Resource Management competency model. Students will gain up-to-date knowledge in current evidence about managing people, develop skills necessary to make the most of the available analyses in people decision-making, and become more skilled analysts in incorporating people's data to inform business decisions. This course covers topics such as workforce planning analytics, performance analytics, recruitment analytics, diversity analytics, etc.
4 Graduate credits
Effective December 12, 2022 to present
- Describe the data and methods needed to address specific people analytics opportunities
- Discuss the up-to-date current evidence about managing people
- Recognize different ways to use analytics in making people decisions
- Demonstrate effective analytical skills by creating data-driven HR solutions for organizations
- Critically evaluate how data on people can be used to drive performance in HR