Introduction to disabilities prepares students who desire to learn about and potentially work in the field of disabilities. Using a diversity model and social perspective approach, students learn about issues common to persons with diverse disabilities. Perspectives of disabilities that recognize disability as a culture and acknowledge the potential and capabilities of persons with disabilities are offered. Course materials include definitions, psychosocial considerations and societal perspectives.
- Acquire a basic understanding of the etiology of common disabilities.
- Be informed of the current research and trends in the field of disabilities including the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate terminology relevant to the field of disabilities.
- Determine the societal barriers and challenges affecting persons with disabilities.
- Identify primary disability services related to text and web research material.
- Learn what interventions are helpful when working and interacting with persons with disabilities.
- Recognize the significance of individuals with disabilities in society.
- Understand the psychosocial issues affecting persons with disabilities.