Older persons are increasingly defying stereotypes through their dedication to civic, social, and creative causes. In this course, students will examine how activism can be part of successful aging, as well as how older persons contribute to society through a variety of civic engagement activities, ranging from community involvement and volunteerism to participation in the political process.
- Analyze the challenges of civic engagement in later life.
- Examine how civic engagement is a part of successful aging.
- Explore biographies of older persons who contribute to society in meaningful ways.
- Learn the theoretical constructs and perspectives associated with later life development, aging, creativity, and involvement.
- Learn the variety of issues and organizations in which older adults are involved.
- Understand the reasons people in later-life become involved in civic engagement.