This course is designed to build skills in the practice of advocacy for those who work with issues of violence and who work across systems such as the police, courts, child welfare, and families. The course will cover individual, community, and systems advocacy, and the relation of advocacy to social reform issues and systems change.
- Define the role of advocacy in human services, social reform, and violence prevention.
- Know the skills of advocacy.
- Learn from a practicing advocate in an organizational setting,
- Reflect upon the role of advocacy as an exercise of responsible and productive citizen ship.
- Relate the process of emerging advocacy to social conditions.
- Understand current areas of social reform advocacy movements.