Introduces machine language, digital logic and circuit design, data representation, conventional von Neumann architecture, instruction sets and formats, addressing, the fetch/execute cycle, memory architectures, I/O architectures, as well as hardware components, such as gates and integrated chips.
First day attendance is mandatory.Note: Students are responsible to both be aware of and abide by prerequisites for ICS courses for which they enroll, and will be administratively dropped from a course if they have not met prerequisites.
4 Undergraduate credits
Effective August 17, 2014 to present
- Analyze error correction algorithms (such as Hamming code) in the design of computer components.
- Apply Boolean logic and minimizing techniques to design logic circuits.
- Apply computer architecture concepts to the design of parts of computer systems.
- Apply knowledge of memory model, instruction sets, addressing modes, and input/output features to develop assembly language programs.
- Know computer history, types and generations of computers and their application areas, major categories of instruction sets, and the difference between computer organization and computer architecture.
- Know multiprocessing and alternative architectures.
- Understand the von Neumann model and explain the communication pathways in a computer system, including data flow through the CPU (interfacing to I/O, bus control logic, and internal communications).
- Utilize electronic equipment and components to implement and test logic circuits.
|01||Computer Organization and Architecture||Ehrlich, Robin Sam||Books for ICS-232-01 Summer 2023||Course details for ICS-232-01 Summer 2023|
|01||Computer Organization and Architecture||Ehrlich, Robin Sam||Books for ICS-232-01 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-232-01 Fall 2023|
|02||Computer Organization and Architecture||Houeto, Sena||Books for ICS-232-02 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-232-02 Fall 2023|
|03||Computer Organization and Architecture||Chetty, Damodar Kumar S||Books for ICS-232-03 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-232-03 Fall 2023|
|01||Computer Organization and Architecture||Chetty, Damodar Kumar S||Books for ICS-232-01 Spring 2024||Course details for ICS-232-01 Spring 2024|
|02||Computer Organization and Architecture||Ehrlich, Robin Sam||Books for ICS-232-02 Spring 2024||Course details for ICS-232-02 Spring 2024|