Covers concepts and methods in the definition, creation and management of databases. Emphasis is placed on usage of appropriate methods and tools to design and implement databases to meet identified business needs. Topics include conceptual, logical and physical database design theories and techniques, such as use of Entity Relationship diagrams, query tools and SQL; responsibilities of data and database administrators; database integrity, security and privacy; and current and emerging trends. Use of database management systems such as MySQL. Coverage of HCI (Human Computer Interaction) topics and development of front ends to databases with application of HCI principles to provide a high level usability experience. Overlap: ICS 311T Database Management Systems.
First day attendance is mandatory.Overlap: ICS 311T Database Management Systems. Note: Students are responsible to both be aware of and abide by prerequisites for ICS courses for which they enroll, and will be administratively dropped from a course if they have not met prerequisites.
4 Undergraduate credits
Effective January 1, 2003 to present
- Create SQL databases and populate and maintain/use data in the database (using INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, and SELECT commands).
- Gather requirements and create conceptual, logical, and physical Entity Relationship Diagrams based on requirements.
- Create data warehouses for mining and information retrieval.
- Design for transaction management, concurrency control, and recovery.
- Create indexes and estimate mass storage sizes.
- Design correct database schemas by applying normalization techniques.
- Relate database query language constructs to relational algebra and relational calculus operators.
- Take advantage of query optimization alternatives.
- Programmatically access databases and create front ends based on sound HCI principles.
|01||Database Management Systems||Li, Ji||Books for ICS-311-01 Summer 2023||Course details for ICS-311-01 Summer 2023|
|50||Database Management Systems||Amouzou, Christopher||Books for ICS-311-50 Summer 2023||Course details for ICS-311-50 Summer 2023|
|01||Database Management Systems||Vue, Kenji M||Books for ICS-311-01 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-311-01 Fall 2023|
|50||Database Management Systems||Goyal, Rajeev||Books for ICS-311-50 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-311-50 Fall 2023|
|51||Database Management Systems||Li, Ji||Books for ICS-311-51 Fall 2023||Course details for ICS-311-51 Fall 2023|
|01||Database Management Systems||Vue, Kenji M||Books for ICS-311-01 Spring 2024||Course details for ICS-311-01 Spring 2024|
|50||Database Management Systems||Goyal, Rajeev||Books for ICS-311-50 Spring 2024||Course details for ICS-311-50 Spring 2024|
|51||Database Management Systems||Hassan, Farris Adam||Books for ICS-311-51 Spring 2024||Course details for ICS-311-51 Spring 2024|