Introduction to Literature
This course introduces students to methods of literary analysis and prepares them for further study in university literature courses. Taking a practical, common-sense approach, the course teaches how to pay attention to a text in order to become a better and more appreciative reader of poetry, drama, short stories and novels.
- Discuss and write about theme and form in a text at an introductory level.
- Know analytical methods and reading strategies well enough to develop interpretations of works from different literary genres at an introductory level.
- Understand basic concepts and terms of literary interpretation and analysis.
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of works in the arts and humanities.
- Understand those works as expressions of individual and human values within a historical and social context.
- Respond critically to works in the arts and humanities.
- Engage in the creative process or interpretive performance.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to works in the arts and humanities.