This course is designed to provide students with the opportunity to effectively promote and advocate for events, organizations, or issues using a variety of social media and multi-media. Students will combine online writing (or blogging) with other forms of social networking and media (wikis, YouTube, Facebook, and/or Twitter) to build a comprehensive online initiative promoting a timely and relevant issue or event either of their choosing or provided by the instructor. Students will increase their knowledge of online rhetoric, audience research, planning for media events, script or treatment writing, and evaluation of communication programs.
- Communicate effectively online, using tools such as blogs, wikis, and YouTube or other video sharing services.
- Demonstrate the ability to compose and publish materials that are appropriate and useful for the intended audience.
- Explain the differences between advocacy, promotion, and marketing.
- Identify and develop strategies in which multiple social media tools can be used together for a single issue, cause, or organization.
- Use multiple social and new media tools coherently for advocacy or behavior change communication.