This course focuses on the techniques of writing for television with an emphasis on examining the professional writing environment on a television program, the history and trends involved in television writing and creating professional quality scripts. Students should consult the Class Schedule for particular topics and descriptions which include situation comedy, drama and newswriting. Familiarity with script software and full attendance required.
- Students will learn professional television writing skills and can apply them to a specific genre of television writing including situation comedy, drama, and documentary.
- Students learn about the current state of the industry.
- Students learn about pitching story ideas, breaking the story outline, writing scripts, working with actors in readings and rewrites.
- Students learn about the history of television writing.
- Students create professional level final scripts.