The improvement in computing and information management technology created opportunity for organizations to generate, store, and process huge amount of data which is being generated in every seconds. Business Analytics provides organizations a new, efficient way to intelligently use those data by combining it with sophisticated analytics. With Business Analytics, organizations can take advantage of data with leveraging and turning it into actionable intelligence that can be used to support reasoned decisions. This course is designed to provide an introduction to the concepts of Business Analytics and its applicability with real world data in a business environment. Students will gain experience using several cutting-edge software in Business Analytics to support business decision making. Students will also be familiarized with the overall life cycle of Business Analytics project (identify the problem, describe the data, analyze the data, interpret the results, and make recommendations) through three different modules: ¿ Module 1 - Business Analytics Fundamentals: Concepts ¿ Module 2 - Business Analytics Fundamentals: Basic predictive analytics ¿ Module 3 - Business Analytics in Actions: Applications, and practical insight
4 Graduate credits
Effective January 9, 2017 to present
- To understand the rapidly growing field of business analytics and the terms, concepts and issues in the field.
- To promote critical thinking by critically examining the appropriate uses and conclusions drawn from some of the most fundamental methods in statistics.
- To help students gain perspective in the general use of scientific methods by discussing both the assumptions behind statistical methods and remedial actions needed when assumptions are violated.
- To give students the opportunity to engage with other learners by discussing Business Analytics life cycle and write a professional report to the management of the entire process.
- Understand the major issues in implementing a Business Intelligence system.
- Develop an introductory knowledge of a business analytics software and apply that knowledge in a real world contexts.