This course examines the application of research methods to practice issues in nursing and the health sciences. Quantitative and qualitative research approaches, methodologies, and techniques of data analysis are addressed. Research critique skills are reviewed. Emphasis is placed on the application of analytic methods to critically appraise scientific literature. Competence Statement: Knows the research process including both quantitative and qualitative methodologies well enough to critically analyze and synthesize a body of scientific literature.
- Access current and relevant literature needed to answer an identified question in nursing practice.
- Compare and contrast the components of quantitative and qualitative research.
- Critically evaluate nursing research studies and their applicability to clinical practice and leadership/management.
- Examine the roles of the leader/manager and the advanced practice nurse in research utilization.
- Explore political, ethical, legal, multicultural, and economic issues in nursing research.
- Select research processes and methods appropriate to the investigation of nursing research problems.
- Write a research-based paper designed to answer a specific clinical or administrative question.