This course focuses on the use of health care informatics in advanced nursing practice. The development of the science of informatics and information systems are reviewed. Clinical decision making support tools in advanced practice nursing are analyzed. The use of information systems to assist in coding and billing is reviewed. Information systems are used to analyze practice outcomes at the individual and practice group levels compared to national standards. Challenges and opportunities to improve health through the use of information systems are explored. Competence Statement: Knows information systems and technology well enough to be utilized to improve patient care outcomes and health care systems.
- Describe the development and scope of health care informatics roles, skills, and competencies;
- Review scientific and theoretical foundational concepts of health care informatics;
- Analyze health care information systems;
- Apply ethical billing standards and practice for APRN care;
- Evaluate ethical and legal issues within healthcare systems relating to the use of information, information technology, communication networks, and patient care technology.