Anesthesia Clinical Practicum II
Restrictions: Admission into the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia program. Prerequisites: Prior to taking this course, you must have successfully completed the following courses or have instructor consent: NURS 673P. Note: Clinical dates and time with be coordinated with the students and the individual clinical coordinators at member hospitals.
Course Description: This is the second in a series of six clinical practicum courses. In this practicum, students utilize didactic knowledge and psychomotor skills to augment beginning skills in assessment, planning, and implementation/delivery while being continuously monitored and mentored by licensed/certified anesthesia providers in MSA member hospitals throughout the Twin Cities. Students complete a minimum of 120 hours of supervised practicum as a student nurse anesthetist.
Competence Statement: Knows the principles and practice of nurse anesthesia care well enough to assess, plan, and implement an anesthetic care plan, at an advanced beginner level, under total supervision of a licensed/certified anesthesia provider.
- Conduct preanesthetic assessment technique.
- Assess and carry out an anesthesia care plan.
- Complete a room set-up for an anesthetic case.
- Maintain a complete medical record for an anesthetic case.
- Practice the process of an anesthetic induction.
- Practice the process of anesthetic management.
- Practice the process of anesthetic emergence.
- Practice post-anesthesia care handoff to recovery room personnel.
- Demonstrate professional and personal responsibility in all clinical interactions.
- Follow universal precautions in all patient contact.