This course focuses on the development and evaluation of curriculum for nursing education. Students will apply current theories and explore trends in curriculum development and evaluation, program and course development, curriculum implementation, and evaluation processes. Concepts will be applied to a variety of situations ranging from the creation of a new curriculum to the refinement of courses. In addition to classroom and online activities, students will participate in experiential learning in department and university curriculum activities.
- Apply knowledge of external and internal influencing factors on the development of a curriculum.
- Apply theories and principles from nursing and education in the development of nursing curriculum.
- Develop a course outline consistent with the philosophy, framework, and outcomes of a nursing program.
- Incorporate a variety of strategies to evaluate student learning.
- Participate in the design of a curriculum that includes an organizational mission and philosophy, conceptual framework, program and learner outcomes, and required courses for a hypothetical nursing program.
- Revise curriculum based on evaluation of program outcomes, learner needs, societal and health care trends, and stakeholder feedback.
- Select appropriate instruments to evaluate nursing curriculum.