This course focuses on the analysis of regulations and policies that impact health and health care. Students analyze health issues and the social, economic, and political implications of current and proposed policies. Students compare health policies and health outcomes within a global context to evaluate alternative approaches to advancing health equity. Students learn to develop and pursue appropriate strategies to influence policy makers and educate others.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the interdependence of policy and practice.
- Analyze the ethical, legal, social, cultural, economic and political implications of addressing a health issue with a policy strategy.
- Analyze a health issue, health regulation, health policy proposal and/or current health law from multiple perspectives.
- Develop plans for implementing a collaborative policy campaign which reduces health disparities, advances cultural sensitivity, access to care, or equity in the delivery of health care.
- Advocate for a policy change related to a specific health issue of interest by presenting accurate demographic, statistical, programmatic, and scientific information to policy makers.