This independent study encourages students to review the spectrum of community services available to developmental disabilities citizens and their families. Students learn how to locate, use and evaluate a specific recreational, diagnostic, residential, educational and/or family support service.
- Historical perspectives on the evaluation of this class of disorders will be presented.
- Material regarding the research used to investigate services for developmental disabilities will be covered.
- Student will apply knowledge to the development of community services for developmental disabilities.
- The contemporary social issue of developmental disabilities will be learned.
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Employ the methods and data that historians and social and behavioral scientists use to investigate the human condition.
- Examine social institutions and processes across a range of historical periods and cultures.
- Use and critique alternative explanatory systems or theories.
- Develop and communicate alternative explanations or solutions for contemporary social issues.