This independent study focuses on the study of developmental disabilities as a multidisciplinary study in both theory and practice. Students gain an understanding of intervention causes, issues and methods related to developmental disabilities to ensure successful mainstreaming within the community.
- Apply knowledge to the major issues related to the rights of people with a developmental disability and their place in the community.
- Can apply knowledge to what is needed to educationally program and environmentally plan for people with a developmental disability from birth through adulthood.
- Understands the definition and knows the identifiable causes developmental disabilities.
- Understands the issues involved in assessment and diagnosis of developmental disabilities.
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Employ the methods and data that historians and social and behavioral scientists use to investigate the human condition.
- Examine social institutions and processes across a range of historical periods and cultures.
- Use and critique alternative explanatory systems or theories.
- Develop and communicate alternative explanations or solutions for contemporary social issues.