This course provides an overview of art therapy theories and techniques with a variety of populations. Students personally experience art therapy through class exercises, assignments and journaling. This course is suitable for people who wish to explore the art therapy field or who wish to experience it on a more personal level. Recommended: Psyc 300 Abnormal Psychology or Psyc 397 Developmental Disabilities: Issues, Concepts and Problem Solving. Overlap: PSYC 302 Adult Development and Lifelong Learning.
- To become familiar with educational requirements and career opportunities in the field of Art Therapy.
- To become familiar with theoretical bases upon which the discipline of Art Therapy was established.
- To experience Art Therapy as an instrument of personal growth.
- To explore Art Therapy process, forms, content and associations as reflections of an individual's development.
- To explore the practical use of Art Therapy with various populations and in various settings.