SCED 440 Science Curriculum and Differentiated Instruction in Urban Grades K-6
This course prepares prospective teachers in the Metropolitan State University Urban Teacher Program to teach science in urban kindergarten to grade 6. The course will examine methods and content standards for teaching science to students in grades k-6. Included in this course is the examination of factors affecting achievement among urban learners historically underserved in science education including young girls and children from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Teacher candidates will learn approaches for enhancing instruction to improve standards-based academic achievement among urban learners. Participants will develop skills in lesson planning, instructional strategies, leading inquiry activities and assessing learning in all areas of the K-6 science scope and sequence. Urban elementary field experiences are part of the course requirements.
Note: Admission to the Urban Teacher Program or department approval required to register. Clinical field experiences required.
4 Undergraduate credits
Effective December 18, 2006 to present
Meets graduation requirements for
- Demonstrate the use of effective instructional strategies including the use of differentiated instruction for learners with diverse needs, presentations, investigations and electronic technologies.
- Examine factors affecting science achievement among young urban learners and methods for increasing science literacy in urban schools.
- Plan and manage instruction and assessment for the development of science knowledge and skills, based on student needs and curriculum goals.
- Understand science education standards including national science standards, local standards and other current developments in science education.
- Understand science learning processes for urban elementary-aged students and demonstrate strategies to improve learning and thinking skills.
|01||Science Curriculum and Differentiated Instruction in Urban Grades K-6||Knaus, Jake||Books||Course details|
|01||Science Curriculum and Differentiated Instruction in Urban Grades K-6||Staff, Staff||Books||Course details|