This course focuses on the nature and history of science and the implications for the teaching of science in urban middle and high schools. It examines scientific methods, the research processes in science and scientific literature. Students study the historical development of the major themes in science and the learning of those concepts by K-12 students. They also complete a science research project. It is intended for students pursuing science teaching licensure.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct a research project.
- Describe the scientific and historical development of key scientific ideas.
- Explain how students develop key concepts in science and develop/analyze student learning activities related to those concepts.
- Explain the nature of scientific methods in conducting research and developing scientific conclusions.
- Explain the relationships between science, technology, and societal factors related to issues and decision-making.
- Make connections between the domains of science, technology and other disciplines.