In this course, students analyze principles and methods of news gathering and reporting for web, broadcast and print news media. They then prepare a weekly schedule of reporting assignments, similar to those that might be completed by a newsroom intern. Students also complete several major assignments employing various news writing styles for digital, broadcast and print media.
Formerly: WRIT 341. Prerequisite: A 3 credit 200-level or 300-level writing course and WRIT 280 Digital Tools for Writing and Communication, or instructor's consent.
- Able to write clear, accurate, precise, and objective news articles at an advanced level.
- Advanced constructive peer critique skills and ability to critique assigned news articles.
- Advanced critical thinking skills.
- Advanced understanding of concept of writing about and for community.
- Advanced understanding of what constitutes news and how a reporter gathers news.
- In-depth understanding of how news is reported in diverse communities and news outlets.
- Understand types of news articles and how they are organized and written.