Beyond memoir and creative nonfiction lies the dangerous world of social and political commentary, a genre based on personal experience, intelligent surveillance of the political milieu and the skill of provocative writing. This class explores the process involved in the creation of the social-political essay and commentary.Prerequisite: A 200- or 300-level writing course or instructor's consent.
- Able to critique writing of others in a constructive manner at an advanced level.
- Advanced understanding of how social commentaries differ from other forms of the essay.
- Apply knowledge of social, political, and cultural issues to social commentary essays.
- Gain confidence in essay writing skills to an advanced level.
- Understand methods of studying and evaluating social, political, and cultural issues at an advanced level.