Placement Testing Exemption
Students admitted into Metropolitan State are generally required to take Placement Assessment Tests. However, the University exempts students from placement testing who meet the criteria below. Note: Some colleges or programs have their own placement testing requirements. Contact your academic advisor with any questions.
Exemption from ALL Assessment Requirements is granted if you:
- have a Bachelor's degree or higher,
- or have completed an Associate of Arts degree at a Minnesota State institution, or
- have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
Math Assessment Exemption is granted if you:
- have transferred in credits that satisfy Minnesota State Goal IV: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning requirement, or
- have an ACT Math score of 22 or higher within five(5) calendar years.
- have an SAT Math score of 530 or higher within five(5) calendar years.
- have an MCA Math score of 1158 or higher within five(5) calendar years.
Reading/Writing Assessment Exemption is granted if you:
- have fulfilled one or both requirements for Part I Writing of Minnesota State Goal I: Communication, or
- have transferred in 90+ semester credits, or
- have an ACT Reading score of 21 or higher or English score of 18 or higher, both should be within five(5) calendar years.
- have an SAT Reading score of 480 or higher or a Writing score of 480 or higher, both should be within five(5) calendar years.
Note: Minnesota State will not use MCA scores for reading and writing placements.
In addition, you are also granted an exemption if our records system shows you have Accuplacer scores from other Minnesota State institutions that were completed in the past three calendar years. However, we put a registration hold on your record because we need to provide you with the placement information based on Metropolitan course offerings.
Note: We acknowledge courses completed after placement testing from other Minnesota State institutions.