Skip to main content

Campus closing at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20

Placement assessment

We are offering remote Accuplacer placement testing!

BEFORE making your appointment for remote proctoring/testing:

  1. Download and install Zoom, free software to connect to the Zoom video conferencing service.
  2. Check that Zoom is working correctly. Use the option “join with video.”
  3. Check that your computer meets ACCUPLACER system requirements.

Here are the steps to take the Accuplacer tests remotely for free

  1. Request a voucher:
    Follow the voucher request instructions at and submit required information to
    You will receive a response to your request message with your VOUCHER number, that is required when scheduling your test.
  2. Schedule your test:
    Register for a testing time that works best for you through RegisterBlast at
  3. Watch for more information about the test:
    You will receive an auto confirmation message. One day before your chosen testing date, you will receive more detailed information for testing.
    Note: if you can’t come to any of our many testing sessions, you can choose to take the Accuplacer tests remotely with Examity for a fee of $25. You still need to request a voucher from us first and meet the same technical requirements for remote testing.

MN State temporary guidelines for course placement under COVID-19

The placement office continues to use students’ ACT, SAT, MCA, HS GPA and Accuplacer scores, old and new, as well as coursework completed within the past three years to place students into the appropriate level of courses at Metropolitan State University. An additional option is student self-placement, which requires consultation with an advisor prior to registration.

You should contact with your name and tech ID if you have any questions. Your academic advisor is the best resource person for you if you have already been assigned one. If you don’t have an assigned academic advisor yet, you may contact the Placement Office for directions.

How are placement tests used?

Placement results provide important insights into students' skill levels in math, reading and writing. Students and their advisors use the information to select or recommend those courses most suited to students' academic needs.

Placement results are also used to meet the prerequisites for specific courses or the university's general education competency requirement. The assessment also helps ensure faculty provide high-quality teaching to all students.

Who takes assessments?

First-year students and PSEO students who have not successfully completed college-level English composition and a college-level math course are required to take placement assessments.

For other incoming students, including transfer and readmitted students, the degree auditing process determines whether an exemption from placement assessments is granted. Your interactive degree audit/DARS will tell you if you need to take an assessment. If you see “Student Holds: 0006 — Assessment Test” on your DARS, you won't be able to register for any class until you take a placement assessment.

Who isn’t required to take assessments?

Contact Placement Assessment if you receive an assessment exemption because you completed ACCUPLACER tests within the past three years at another Minnesota State institution. We can provide course placement for Metropolitan State's curriculum and remove the testing registration hold.

Students who completed placement assessments at another Minnesota State institution over three years ago should contact our office. Each of these cases are handled individually.

Language proficiency testing

New students whose native language is not English and who is not fluent in English should take language proficiency tests. Students can take these tests at the Minnesota State institution of their choice. After testing, contact us for placement advice and to remove testing registration holds.